Sunday, February 24, 2008

Bridgewater Cemetery - 04/01/07


Bridgewater Cemetery - Scott County, IN
4/01/07
Legend:
Back in the 1800's there were a lot of civil war soldiers buried there, but no blacks. Some blacks were hung in the cemetery and buried on the outside of the cemetery. People say the cemetery is haunted by something called red eyes that you can see glowing in the back of the cemetery. People have seen hand prints, cars that wouldn't start, and black objects moving around the cars and by an arched shaped thing in the back of the woods, and cold chills. It is always colder in the cemetery than it should be, and some people have said that they got chased out of the cemetery by a white horse.

Directions:

From Interstate 65 take Henryville exit, and proceed east a few blocks to Highway 31 and turn north (left). Follow to junction Hwy 356 and turn right into Vienna. Follow 356 about eight miles until you come to Slate Ford Road on the right. Follow this road until you come to Bridgewater Road on the Left. Bridgewater Road dead ends into the cemetery.

Investigation:
We arrived at Bridgewater Cemetery at 11 PM on April 1st, 2007. From the moment you pull up the hill to the cemetery you see how incredibly eerie and isolate it is. The cemetery itself isn't too big, but the graves themselves are very old, hard to read, and could very well be the markers of Civil War veterans.

According to the legend "blacks" were buired outside of the cemetery after they were hung. If that's true, then it's very likely you might be parking right on top of them, or you're at least pretty close. There are some grave markers right in front of the gravel area where you park by the gate, so be careful not to hit them, and a small plot of grass with trees on the right side of the small parking area.

When in the cemetery I took a photo back towards the car, and it yielded a very interesting orb. Normally I would just dimiss the transparent orb as dust, but this one was different than any I had ever taken before. After I zoomed in on it, I found that you can almost see some sort of face in the blue glow of the orb.

Also I went through almost an entire pack of brand new batteries using my digital camera. As soon as I put some in, they'd show up registered on the camera as dead, and my camera would shut off. When I finally did get a pair that worked the camera just started flipping out, it uncontrollably zoomed in and out, turned off and on and a few of the pictures I took just showed up as an error later when I reviewed them.

Other than that, we really didn't find too much. No Red Eyes, arch in the woods, moving black objects or white horse. Perhaps we came on a bad night. The orb photo and the camera malfunction is enough to make me want to do a more thorough investigation in the future, so keep a look out for a follow up once we get around to a few more locations and have time to come back here.


Standing from the front gates of the cemetery.


Distinct orb near the front gates.


Close up of orb; notice what appears to be the face like features inside.


Nothing special here, just a few grave markers accompanied by the typical dust orbs.


12 comments:

Scott said...

congrandulations. if you need any help just ask

Scott said...

congrandulations. if you need any help just ask!

Jen said...

My husband is a direct decendant of the Bridgewater's buried at Bridgewater Cemetery and we live 2-3 miles from there. Just wanted to let you know that there were no blacks hung or buried outside of the gate there. The only reason there are any graves on the outside of the gate is because the gate wasn't put up when the people were buried there. I believe it wasn't put up until the 1950's. They had to stop the gate where they did so people would have a place to park. If you have any questions about this you can always contact the Scott County Museum and they will answer anything you want to ask. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I actually heard that there was an orphanage that stood on the cemetary then burned down. This explains the small handprints on vehicles among other stories that I've heard which include childs' gohsts or spirits.
I just thought that I would throw that out there.
I'm not sure but I have heard that from numerous people.

Unknown said...

Visit www.seymourghost.webs.com to hear my story and more

CRAIG bridgewater said...

My name is Craig Bridgewater, and I am also a direct decendant of the Indiana Bridgewaters. The Bridgewater's would not hang black people. We might have owned slaves, but we were one of the very first families to educate blacks, train blacks in many trades, and trained Blacks as soldiers. That is the main reason also that so many Bridgewater's were killed in the civil war. Bridgewater's were very wealthy before the war and very educated people. They were preyed upon by theives. We relied on blacks for protection in return we treated them with respect.

worldoflonelyfollowers said...

I've been to Bridgewater loads of times and every time we go we get TONS of crazy evps. We went one night and got a complete sentence that still gives me chills to this day. The first one I was looking at a babies grave and I said "ooh that's awful" then t the loudest deepest voice came on the recorder and said "why are you crying?" Later we were out by the graves outside the gate where Mr. Hugh Whitlatch is buried and my mom said she felt like something was touching her then this voice came over and said "no no no Whitlatch don't touch her or we'll go back in the car with them." That night when we were home mom was looking up Whitlatch and she asked me if he was a Sargent before I could reply a voice came out of thin air and answered yes. It blew my mind I had never heard a disembodied voice without a recorder before.

Unknown said...

According to the following website, there are about 30 children (under the age of 10) buried in this Cemetery. My partner & I went during a gorgeous summer day, to check out this cemetery, where he previously had the night time experience of his outside "car mirrors moving by themselves." Despite the serene surroundings, it distinctly felt as if my pants leg was tugged on, around the center of this cemetery, which would obviously startle anyone. I posted my daytime photos on Google Earth's page for the Bridgewater Cemetery- the only gravestone I was drawn to & photographed was that of Sarah LeMaster, whom I had no knowledge that "Chase, June 5th, 2011," has posted on this page as having evidence of her reply of yes, to the question of whether her death was a violent one. I found that particularly interesting & fully intend to determine what entities reside there. You can also find videos on Youtube of people visiting and doing paranormal investigations there.

http://rdk1.com/Geocities/BridgewaterCemetery.htm

Unknown said...

Here is my blog post written about my experiences at this location. Click the link below to read and share your own experiences!

Bridgewater Cemetery & Katie’s Lane | Southern Indiana – Weekday Spook | Wildflower in Louisville
http://wildflowerinlouisville.wordpress.com/2014/03/19/bridgewater-cemetery-katies-lane-southern-indiana-weekday-spook/

Anonymous said...

I live in Scottsburg Indiana. So, I'm very known with Bridgewater Cemetery. I actually had an acquainted experience with this eerie cemetery. Me and my friend decided to go out to Bridgewater, after her sister gave us the idea. As reluctant as I was, I went just for the thrill and how interested I was in the paranormal. We showed up, with it being about 43 Degrees outside, late fall, early winter. As soon as I immediately jumped out of the car, I felt a noticeable degree difference on the outside of the cemetery. As we entered the cemetery I got unexplained chills. Most of the stones were either knocked off, or hard to read. As respectable as I was to the dead, I would use phrases such as "Do you like when I help pick up the trash from your grave?" Or "It was a shame, that people would come here just as a joke to disrespect you, Im sorry." And we would just be nice as possible, afraid to get any bad experiences that night. We ripped out our cell phones, to use as an EVP recording device, and started in the back, and headed slowly to the front. In the back, we got no voices, but it was strangely darker, and colder. We headed to the middle, and for some reason, I was the only one who got voices, and experiences. I don't know if because I was a young female, I made a difference, or what. But as I headed toward the middle of the cemetery, the temperature obviously got warmer, but I asked a question. My question I asked, I stuttered a little, but said "Who- who, are you?" The reply came back stunning. It sounded like a distinct guy voice with what seemed like an upper respiratory infection, He didn't finish his word, But sounded like he begun to say a name. I couldn't make it out, but it was just frightening to hear a disembodied voice. By the time we headed to the front, my cell phone an old pink cancer awareness flip phone's battery had drained at least 50 percent, even though we had been there for 30 minutes, with about 10 minute use of my cellular device. We headed to the front, was still recording, several other voices were heard on the phone, but what frightened me the most before I left, was an experience I will never forget. I was looking around, walking and looking at the old history of the graves, best I could in the dark. And, considering most of the stones were broke, there was a small stone broken into two pieces I thought were rocks. I stepped on them not thinking of anything. When I looked down, saw the letters and Immediately started freaking out. I started apologizing to the spirits that were there, saying "Im so so sorry, please forgive me. I didn't mean to." About six times before we left. During that time, we went home and reviewed the EVP's very specifically, and found several random voices, and I noticed something very loud at the end, before my phone died. Right when I stepped on the stones, and after I apologized, a women's voice faintly yelled, and either called me a "Murderer" Or told the other ghosts to "Murder her." And after that, I completely stopped in my tracks, and I will never return to that cemetery. I have weird dreams, maybe just because I thought about it too much at the time, but I have had strange dreams of returning to the cemetery, not seeing anything, but being by myself, and asking if they had remembered me? Strange huh? The most strange experience ever.

Unknown said...

I went to the cemetery and I did not get out of the car but I felt a warm burning sensation like my skin was on fire .well I have 3 scratch marks on my back and today when I woke up today I felt something like another scratch on the back of my neck .has anyone else experienced this when going to this cemetery?

Unknown said...

I will never return to this cemetery this has really changed my life this is definitely not something to mess with